Rosemary, also known as Rosmarinus Officinalis, is an aromatic, evergreen shrub whose leaves are frequently used to flavor foods. Rosemary was considered sacred by the ancient Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Hebrew cultures. Rosemary essential oil is extracted by steam distillation from the flowers and leaves of the shrub.
When I used to think of Rosemary, my mind would often go to roasting a chicken, and memories of my Grandmother harvesting from her herb garden on a sunny summer morning for what I knew was going to be the best meal ever! I had no idea that it has a multitude of benefits and uses besides that roast chicken!
What are the benefits of Rosemary Essential Oil?
Along with its culinary applications, Rosemary has many health benefits. Some of its primary benefits include:
1. Rosemary improves memory. Its mental strengthening ability has been known for thousands of years.
2. It helps to stimulate hair growth and provides relief for itchy scalps and dandruff.
3. It is a fantastic detoxifier. It greatly enhances the body’s bile flow and reduces plasma liver enzymes.
4. Rosemary essential oil aids with eliminating congestion associated with colds, seasonal flares, and respiratory discomfort.
5. It promotes oral health by removing bacteria and reduces the buildup of plaque. It also reduces bad breath.
Top Ten Uses for Rosemary Essential Oil
1. Rosemary has the ability to improve memory. Mix 3 drops of Rosemary oil with a carrier oil and rub on the upper neck. You can also add 4-5 drops to a diffuser and diffuse for 1 hour a day.
2. It is very effective as a hair thickener. Put 5 drops of oil on the scalp and massage in after showers.
3. It is useful in helping to support sore muscles and joints. You can apply topically by adding several drops of Rosemary oil to a carrier oil and using to massage the affected areas.
4. Rosemary essential oil can help the body fight seasonal colds and flu. You can add 2-3 drops to your diffuser, or put 8-10 drops in bath water to have a warm, refreshing, healing bath.
5. Rosemary essential oil is effective in digestive issues. Mix 2-3 drops with a carrier oil and massage on the lower back and abdomen area. You can also use 8-10 drops in your bath water for a refreshing bath.
6. Use Rosemary essential oil to reduce the symptoms of head tension, especially those related to gastric upset. Use 2-3 drops in a hot or cold compress, or add 2-3 drops to your diffuser or 8-10 drops to warm bath water.
7.Rosemary oil is a disinfectant and is often used as a mouthwash. It reduces oral bacteria and helps dental conditions.
8. Rosemary is a great immune system booster.
9. Rosemary essential oil is able to help to control hormone production and to balance the hormone levels in our body.
10. Rosemary oil is a workhorse in helping to keep your house clean and free germs.
This is truly one of my favorite oils, and I encourage you to give it a try if you haven’t yet. Click here to add this one to your collection.